I have officially moved into college!
Here are some things that I wish I did to prepare for moving in (that my roommate did and I was completely jealous of how quickly she managed to put all of her stuff away):
- Pack your things in the storage containers you plan on putting them in ahead of time
- Fold all of your clothes the way you want them to be folded in your drawers
- Don’t pack everything into storage containers that you won’t use. That’s what I did, and it was a waste. My family ended up taking home two containers.
- Don’t be afraid to overpack! Along with the containers my family took home, they also brought back extra things I didn’t need or things I saw no use for once I put everything away or in their right places.
- Command hooks and strips won’t always work. Neither will Scotch tape. Sometimes nothing will because it’s just too hot in your dorm room and the sticky part doesn’t stick anymore. It’s frustrating, it’s annoying, but sometimes you just have to deal with it. One of the paintings I put up on my wall fell down a couple hours after taping this video because the hooks would not stick onto the wall anymore. I’m going to wait a week or two for it to get a little bit cooler to put it back up.
- Bring extra Command hooks and strips. I thought twelve hooks was enough. YEAH, I was wrong.
- Don’t be afraid to tell your family to leave you alone for a little while as you put your room together. I had to ask my family to leave (and get me more Command strips…) because I was getting stressed out and I wanted to put everything away. Sometimes you need your space. It isn’t a bad thing.
- Bring fans. Don’t question it. Just do it.
- Bring a rug. It’s comfy, it’s soft, and if your friend gets sexiled or has to stay over for any reason it will make things a lot comfier.
- If you want to meet people, keep your door open! Play music, have extra seats even if it’s just a little step stool.
- Don’t be afraid to walk into other people’s rooms if their door is open and say hi!