I’ve just finished my first 2 full weeks of classes in college. I’m so excited to report the lessons that I’ve begun to learn!
Health and Other Daily Lessons
- Hills make life hard and proper footwear is really important (especially when you have flat feet). Comfortable footwear is a must in college!
- It is very possible to get a feeling of satisfaction after walking up a hill.
- Dining halls are full of really tempting foods. It’s really hard to choose sometimes.
- You should not try to eat everything. Sometimes throwing food away or getting a to-go box are way better than eating everything and then regretting it on your 10-minute walk across campus.
- Sometimes you don’t realize how little you want to eat when you are out all day. I know I realized lunch isn’t always necessary for me. Sometimes I just prefer to snack during that time and then eat dinner.
- Making friends isn’t always as difficult as it can seem initially.
- Bikes + going downhill = a very fast trip to class.
- Make good choices (otherwise known as Tribe Choices at my school) everyday, whether that be helping someone who is obviously struggling with something or turning something you found into the school’s Lost & Found.
- Smile at more people.
Parties and Going Out
- Have fun! All work and no play is not. But you should decide how you want to balance it for yourself.
- If you dont want to be pressured into drinking (even though most people wont pressure you at all), just hold a cup.
- Dress for the theme, but don’t go overboard. That’s how they spot the freshman!
- Dancing at frat houses is fun. But always make sure to go with friends and try your best to keep an eye on them so you guys don’t get separated.
- Think about what you want to do before you go out. Do you want to drink? Do you not? Do you want to leave with someone? If you do, how far are you willing to go? Do you friends know what your plan is? There is no reason you should have to do anything that you feel uncomfortable with.
- This one piggy backs off the last, but do you trust the people you are going out with? If you don’t, try your best not to over do anything that may put you in harm’s way.
- Dont be surprised by what you see people doing at parties. Really. Just try not to get bumped into and go on with your night.
- Be confident and wear what you want. It’s college, express yourself how you see fit.