Neville Longbottom Syndrome (noun)-when a male actor who was not known for their good looks in their youth, wakes up one morning and is smoking hot. This syndrome can strike at any second and often times takes the world by surprise. Symptoms include magazines suddenly writing articles about the victim, flocks of screaming girls tracking the affected, or the sudden appearance of five o’clock shadow. We all know that puberty is a thing, but who knew it could turn a bunch of funny looking kids who made us cringe when they did silly things on TV and movie screens into drop dead gorgeous adults? Read on for some serious eye candy.
1. Josh Hutcherson. J-Hutch first broke into Hollywood (and our hearts) at the age of 13 when he starred in Little Manhattan. No one expected this youngster with a literal baby face to be the buffed out guy we drool over in The Hunger Games.
2. Drake. The rapper formerly known as Aubrey Graham starred on the Canadian teen soap, Degrassi: The Next Generation when he was just fifteen years old. He did start to show signs of becoming attractive during the end of his run on the show, but for the most part, he still looked like a kid. Though now found wildly attractive by many women, back then he was just a scrawny teenager with glasses.
3. Josh Peck. As the seventeen year old star of Drake and Josh, no one expected this lovable, chubby, kid to turn into a full on dreamboat. With his new found talent for creating hilarious vines, this star has also been receiving a lot of attention for his trim figure and piercing eyes. Of all the child stars on this list, he is the one that I never, ever dreamed would ever be described as a dreamboat. Ever.
4. Dylan Sprouse. When he first appeared on the Disney hit, The Suite Life of Zack and Cody, Dylan Sprouse was thirteen years old with a shaggy haircut and some extra pudge. Thanks in part to a recent nude photograph scandal, this NYU student is now appreciated for his nice body and cute face. It seems as if the “playa” character he played on Suite Life was a bit of foreshadowing.
5. Shia Labeouf. In 2000, this fourteen year old landed the lead role of Louis on another popular Disney show, Even Stevens. At the height of his awkward years, Labeouf was known mostly for his squeaky voice and always flared nostrils. So when he appeared in 2007’s Disturbia as a dashingly handsome young man, girls were doubtlessly surprised by their own swooning.
6. Joseph Gordon-Levitt. When he starred as an alien on 3rd Rock from the Sun at age fourteen, JGL had middle-parted, straight, shoulder length hair and a lanky body to match, it was hard to imagine he would ever become the apple of anyone’s eye. That all changed with (500) Days of Summer, when he was introduced to girls around the world as a hopelessly gorgeous (and hopelessly flawed) romantic. Since then, he’s definitely continued to make hearts flutter in Inception and Don Jon.
7. Matthew Lewis. Perhaps better known as the namesake of Neville Longbottom Syndrome, this child star grew in our hearts over his ten year career of Harry Potter as the adorably timid and buck toothed Neville Longbottom. It was only in the final installment of the series that the world’s best kept secret was revealed: Matthew Lewis is a total babe.
Well, there you have it folks. Seven child stars who blossomed. For these beauties I would personally like to thank mother nature, properly tailored suits, and excellent barbers. This just goes to show that anything is possible. And it gives hope to those of us who are still waiting to become total hotties.