The college application process can be pretty frustrating. Luckily, music can help you get through it. Here are some songs that will resonate with you throughout the college application process.
When You’re Looking for Your Perfect Fit
1. “But I still haven’t found what I’m looking for.” – I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For by U2
When you start looking at colleges, you go to so many places and browse so many websites but you still can’t find exactly what you want. You still don’t get that “this is where I belong” feeling that so many people describe. You wonder if you’ll ever find your place.
2. “High school’s the place where dreams go to die.” – Where Dreams Go to Die by The Downtown Fiction
You’re just so tired of high school. The people there aren’t exactly encouraging and they just annoy you most of the time. You just want to go accomplish your dreams, but your high school is totally ruining everything. Ugh. When is graduation? You had senioritis before you started high school.
When You Think You Have Found Your Fit
3. “There’s no one like you.” – No One Like You by the Scorpions
You think you’ve found the one. This school is so perfect for you and no other school compares. You’re in love.
When You Start Applying
4. “I need a break, but I’d rather have a breakthrough.” – I Need a Break… but I’d Rather Have a Breakthrough by The Rocket Summer
Working on college applications is tiring and time consuming. You just need a break. And some ideas. And some coffee. And some answers to your essay questions.
5. “A white blank page and a swelling rage, rage.” – White Blank Page by Mumford & Son
You hardly have anything done and you just can’t take it anymore. You’re staring at your practically blank application with no ideas and no hope.
6. “Wait, they don’t love you like I love you.” – Maps by Yeah Yeah Yeahs
You finally start writing and all you can think is “please love me. I love you. You’re perfect. I’m perfect for you, don’t you get it?!?!?!?!”
7. “When you finally get to love somebody, guess what? It’s gonna be me.” – It’s Gonna Be Me by ‘NSYNC
The people at your school are being so competitive and a lot of them are applying at the same colleges that you are. But you have to get in over them, right? Or is that just wishful thinking?
When You Start to Doubt Yourself
8. “Just say yes, just say there’s nothing holding you back.” – Just Say Yes by Snow Patrol
You’re desperate at this point. You’re not feeling very confident anymore and you can’t seem to think of an answer to that last supplement question. You just hope that the colleges will be able to see how much you want to go there and how great of a student you’d be.
9. “All this time I was finding myself and I didn’t know I was lost.” – Wake Me Up by Avicii
You’ve learned a lot about yourself throughout this whole process. You didn’t realize how much you had to learn. At the beginning, you thought you knew exactly what you wanted, but that has changed now. Your “dream school” isn’t even the same anymore.
When Application Deadlines Start Approaching
10. “I got a little bit longer, I got a ways to go.” – Ways to Go by Grouplove
You’re so close to being done yet you still have so much more to do. And you have no time. At all. You’re not actually all that close to being done, but you’d like to believe that you are.
When People Start Asking Where You’re Going to College
11. “I wish the real world would just stop hassling me.” – Real World by Matchbox Twenty
When You Get Deferred or Waitlisted
12. “So if the answer is no, can I change your mind?” – Change Your Mind by The Killers
You feel betrayed. You worked so hard and all they can say is “maybe.”
When You Get Rejected
13. “You can’t always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, well, you might find, you get what you need.” – You Can’t Always Get What You Want by The Rolling Stones
At first, you’re sad about any rejections you receive. But eventually, you realize that you’d be happy to go to one of the incredible schools that accepted you. In fact, the schools that accepted you might even feel like better fits.
When You Get Accepted
14. “Because I’m happy…” – Happy by Pharrell Williams
But really though. You are happy. Everything is falling into place and you could not be more excited for the future that lies ahead of you, regardless of how it differs from the one you imagined at the beginning of this process.