Let’s face it, college is completely unaffordable without some type of financial aid. That’s where scholarships come in. However, when you have over twenty scholarships on your list that include the typical “write an essay of why you deserve this” qualification, it may make you feel like you want to bang your head against a wall. But before you do that, I’ve gathered a list that will spice up your scholarship hunt and kick your creative right side brain into gear. These wacky scholarships will push you to think outside the box.
1. Stuck at Prom Scholarship– Ever dreamed of being a designer but lack in the sewing department? This outrageous scholarship gives high school students a chance to design a wardrobe for prom created completely out of duct tape. Applicants must send one photo of themselves or a couple entry. The prom attire will be judged based on originality, workmanship, use of colors, and the use of the Duck Brand duct tape. The top wardrobe will be awarded up to $10,000 along with a $5,000 donation to their school.
2. Create a Greeting Card Scholarship– Imagine that simple sketch you drew in math class last week could get you up to $10,000 for college. Here how it works: The Gallery Collection is asking students to submit any original photos, artwork, or graphic designs that is fit for a greeting card. It will be entered to win cash for college and a chance for your design to be sold in stores under Bona Fide greeting cards.
3. Advice to Your High School Self Scholarship– Now that you’re in college, is there anything you wish you knew in high school that you know now? It could be as simple as you wish you knew not to sign up for that dreadfully boring history class, or as thoughtful as a particular life lesson. Whatever it may be, write it down it and it could help you win up to $5,000 dollars in scholarship funds.
4. Zombie Apocalypse Scholarship– Has the media such as “The Walking Dead” or “World War Z” have your mind wandering to what would happen if a zombie apocalypse were to actually occur? Now there are scholarships for zombie fans. By creating a plan of avoiding these flesh eaters, including a safe place to hide and a survival kit, you could get $2,000 in scholarship money.
5. Make Me Laugh Scholarship– Applying for scholarships shouldn’t have to be serious all the time. This is your chance to shine and show off your funny bone. You could get up to $1,500 in scholarship funds by submitting a short story that’s embarrassing or funny, a real occurrence or made up story! Make the scholarship judges rolling on the floor with laughter.
6. Flavor of the Month Scholarship– I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice-cream! Are you sweet and simple like vanilla? Or are you more loud and colorful like strawberry with rainbow sprinkles? Let the judges know which ice cream flavor represents your personality and why and you could win up to $1,500 for college.
7. Create a Real Impact Scholarship– Do you have a hidden singing talent, an artistic flare, or a desire to create an inspirational film? Create a Real Impact is offering up to $1,500 in each of those three categories to the most creative student or group of students that make an effort to bring awareness to the community about the dangers of distractions while driving. Upload your piece on the scholarship website, and the community has the power to vote which is their favorite.
8. Superpower Scholarship– Have you ever imagined flying higher than the skyscrapers? How about fighting off evil villains with your mind powers? This scholarship gives the opportunity for any superhero lover to write about their own desired super powers. The selected winner will be awarded up to $2,500 in scholarship money.
9. Chick and Sophie Major Memorial Duck Calling Scholarship– Open to any high school senior that has a love for our little feathery friends. Sophie Major Memorial will judge students with the best duck call. The winner will be awarded up to $2,000 for college funding.
10. Twitter Scholarship– With today’s communication tools, it’s possible to know what’s happening over 1,000 miles away. With social media sites, such as Twitter, we are notified faster than ever of news from all around the world. You could be awarded up to $1,400 by tweeting in 140 characters or less a tweet highlighting how we can all use Twitter to make the world a better place.