Since 2014 is upon us, I’m going to share with you guys some of my reasons for trying to lose weight. You all know if you read my first article that I am severely overweight and my BMI is really high. I wanted to let you guys know why I’m shooting for such a large goal. Also, I’m positive there are other people who are curious about why people want to lose weight so here are some of my reasons.
1. My goal is so large because I’ve spoken to a doctor and they think it is all right as long as I lose weight safety.
2. I want to be strong and fit. I dream of being able to run without my body wobbling. Also, less resistance in the water when I swim sounds nice.
3. My doctor says that she wants me to be 170 pounds, even though that is still technically overweight; it’s better than my starting weight.
4. I feel that I am at that threshold where I could feasibly lose all the weight I need to on my own or I could turn to surgery to attempt to lose weight. I know that if my lifestyle doesn’t change, surgery would be pointless. So I’m choosing to do it on my own, and I hope that in the end I will be healthier and stronger and have a intense sense of pride in the accomplishment.
5. Health problems that can be brought on/exasperated such as heart disease, high cholesterol, diabetes, asthma, and high blood pressure run in my family. My mother has heart disease and suffered (and survived) a heart attack about eight years ago when I was in elementary school. My father has high cholesterol and both my parents have asthma.
6. I already have developed high cholesterol. Losing weight and exercise can help lower my cholesterol.
7. Joint pain is something that someone my age shouldn’t deal with on a constant basis, but I do. I want it to stop and easing the load on all my joints should definitely help.
8. I want to be healthy and able to keep up with my other friends who are not overweight. I was always jealous of the kids who could run laps in gym and play all the games without having to stop constantly because their chest hurt and they were super tired.
9. I want to be able to buy clothes in any store and not have to pay more for clothes from specialty shops. I dream of going shopping with my friends in the same store and all of us going into fitting rooms to try on clothes.
10. My feet have a low/no arch in them so a lot of walking or flexing of my feet causes them to hurt. The lack of an arch can make the rest of your body hurt because your feet can’t absorb all the shock of your steps. And I want to be able to wear high heels without my feet hurting super badly very quickly. Also, if I lose weight, I’m hoping that my feet will narrow so I can stop wearing “wide” shoes. It’ll make my shopping trips easier.
11. I want to be able to be proud of the body I’ve worked hard to get.
12. It’s something that I think I deserve: A happy and HEALTHY life. I am so scared of my life being shortened due to all the weight and the stress my weight causes on my body daily.
13. But a big reason is that I want to show myself that I am capable of doing something that on most days seems impossible to me. I also want to show myself and my parents that I am maturing and have decided to take the hard road and do what is best for my health. I want to stop copping out and giving up. This weight loss journey is mainly for my health but it’s also to help me grow stronger mentally and physically.